Here is a collection of photos, films, event programmes and trails from my time at the National Portrait Gallery. The events were inspired by major exhibitions and the collections at the NPG.
DJ Eddie Otchere on the decks at a Late Shift Extra
Lucian Freud Portraits
Inspired by the exhibition Lucian Freud Portraits, the Gallery was transformed into an art studio for Draw the Line which included life drawing classes led by Freud’s model Sophie de Stempel and another with Nicola Bateman, one of Freud’s muses, as the model.
- Full programme: http://www.npg.org.uk/assets/files/pdf/lateshift/DrawtheLineProgramme.pdf
- I worked with the brilliant Marian Deuchar to create a sketchbook tour of the NPG which you can find here: http://www.npg.org.uk/assets/files/pdf/lateshift/draw_the_line.pdf
Man Ray Portraits
The Late Shift Extra: Salon de Lumière evening was a homage to Man Ray. The event included avant-garde films, Tudors portraits, mass life drawing with a fashion twist, 1920s jazz, lomography and philosophy…
- Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHsjEiS5kK
- Full Programme: http://www.npg.org.uk/assets/files/pdf/lateshift/LSE_SalonDeLumiere_Programme.pdf
- I commissioned light artist Chris Levine to create a mindbending installation inspired by Man Ray, the master of Light, for the event. Here is a gorgeous little film showing the piece in the Main Hall at the NPG https://vimeo.com/63782943
- Visitors explored film photography with a classic Lomography camera in our Captured on Camera workshops. They shot with 35mm film to create fantastic multiple exposures.
We also hosted Movement in Light, a series of screenings exploring the work of Man Ray and his contemporaries, as well as looking at the films which resulted from the methods he used in his film making and photography.
- There were live scores created by the fabulous Collectress & by Ilyas Ahmed. http://collectress.co.uk/
- Curated and introduced by Ben Pritchard, Cinematograph Film Club, Dalston. http://cinematographfilmclub.tumblr.com/
- Photography by Cat Munro. https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGeTSqX
George Catlin: American Indian Portraits
We invited conceptual artist Hock E Aye Vi Edgar Heap of Birds to occupy the NPG for one night to explore language, memory and history. Edgar Heap of Birds is an artist from the Cheyenne and Arapaho Nations of Oklahoma. The event was in response to the NPG exhibition George Catlin: American Indian Portraits.
- Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/natportraitgallery/sets/72157633542616967
- This film was made by researchers from Royal Holloway, University of London to document the Late Shift Extra: Edgar Heap of Birds event at the NPG on 17 May 2013 https://youtu.be/ieh-11JF7VI
Collections inspired Late Shift Extra
This Late Shift Extra took us back to the drawing board. We were able to work with some people including illustrators Marion Deuchars, Shirley Hughes and Clara Vulliamy. Artist Stuart Pearson Wright created an exquisite stage set for a magical performance by the Tiger’s Bride.
- Photos by Anthony Luvera https://flic.kr/s/aHsjCRrpBK